VIDEOS & BLOGS
Dr. Gaudiani lectures nationally and internationally on the topic of medical complications of eating disorders.
One of Dr. Gaudiani's great passions is to improve the level of medical care for adults with eating disorders across the country. To this end, since 2009, she has spoken at national and regional conferences for top eating disorder associations, such as the International Association of Eating Disorders Professionals (iaedp), National Eating Disorder Association (NEDA), and Academy of Eating Disorders (AED). She was the invited speaker for the Australian and New Zealand Academy of Eating Disorders (ANZAED) in 2013 as their annual guest lecturer, lecturing for several weeks to eating disorder professionals in multiple cities in these two countries. Dr. Gaudiani has presented Grand Rounds at hospitals around the country, most recently giving Pediatric and Psychiatric Grand Rounds at National Children's Hospital in Washington, DC, as the 2016 Silber Lecturer.
Dr. Gaudiani is a former board member of iaedp and is currently on the Academy for Eating Disorders' Medical Care Standards committee and the editorial board of the International Journal of Eating Disorders. She is additionally a member of the Advisory Board for Katie H. Wilcox, CEO and Founder of “Healthy is the New Skinny” (www.healthyisthenewskinny.com) and CEO and Founder of Natural Model Management (www.naturalmodelsla.com). She is a member of the EDCare Scientific Advisory Council.
To request Dr. Gaudiani's consulting services or invite her to speak, please send an email to email@example.com.
Blog Posts by Dr. Gaudiani
The linked posts below were written while Dr. Gaudiani was with the ACUTE Center for Eating Disorders at Denver Health
- Gaudiani JL, Chu ES, Mehler PS. Clinical issues encountered in the refeeding of the patient with anorexia nervosa. Current Nutrition and Food Science 2009;5(1):13-16.
- Narayanan V, Gaudiani JL, Mehler PS. Serum albumin levels may not correlate with weight status in severe anorexia nervosa. Eating Disorders 2009;17:322-326.
- Mehler PS, Winkleman A, Andersen D, Gaudiani JL. Nutritional rehabilitation: Practical guidelines for refeeding the anorectic patient. Journal of Nutrition and Metabolism 2010. Article ID 625782. Epub 2010 Feb.
- Biffl WL. Narayanan V. Gaudiani JL. Mehler PS. The management of pneumothorax in a patient with anorexia nervosa: case report and review of the literature. Patient Safety in Surgery 2010, 4(1):1.
- Cleary BS. Gaudiani JL. Mehler PS. Interpreting the Complete Blood Count in Anorexia Nervosa. Eat Disord 2010; 18(2): 132-139.
- Gaudiani JL, Kashuk JL, Chu ES, Narayanan V, Mehler PS. The use of thrombelastography to determine coagulation status in severe anorexia nervosa: A case series. Int J Eat Disord 2010;43(4):382-385.
- Narayanan V, Gaudiani JL, Harris RH, Mehler PS. Liver function test abnormalities in anorexia nervosa—Cause or effect. Int J Eat Disord 2010;43(4): 378-381.
- Gaudiani JL. Heinrichs G. Narayanan V. Mehler PS. Tampon use in patients with anorexia nervosa can cause persistent vaginal bleeding: a case series. Int J Eat Disord 2011; 44(8): 752-55.
- Mehler PS. Cleary BS. Gaudiani JL. Osteoporosis in anorexia nervosa. Eat Disord 2011;19(2):194-202.
- Bapoje SR. Gaudiani JL. Narayanan V. Albert RK. Unplanned transfers to a medical intensive care unit: Causes and relationship to preventable errors in care. J Hosp Med 2011;6(2):68-72.
- Flierl MA. Gaudiani JL. Long CS. Stahel PF. Mehler PS. Complement activation in patients with anorexia nervosa: a new biomarker for severe disease. Annals Gen Psych 2011. 10(16).
- Gaudiani JL. Sabel AL. Mascolo M. Mehler PS. Severe anorexia nervosa: Outcomes from a medical stabilization unit. Int J Eat Disord 2012; 45(1):85-92.
- Bahia A. Mascolo M. Gaudiani JL. Mehler PS. Pseudobartter syndrome in eating disorders. Int J Eat Disord 2012; 45(1):150-153.
- Krantz MJ, Sagar UN, Long CS, Barbey JT, Gaudiani JL, Sabel A, Mehler PS. Factors influencing QT prolongation in patients hospitalized with severe anorexia nervosa. Gen Hosp Psych 2012; 34(2): 173-7.
- Holmes SRM. Gudridge TA. Gaudiani JL. Mehler PS. Dysphagia in severe anorexia nervosa: risks and course. IJED 2012; 45(3): 463-66
- Gaudiani JL. Braverman J. Mascolo M. Mehler PS. Lagophthalmos in severe snorexia nervosa. Archives of Ophthalmology 2012; 130(7): 928-30
- Krantz MJ. Gaudiani JL. Johnson VW. Mehler PS. Exercise electrocardiography extinguishes persistent junctional rhythm in a patient with severe anorexia nervosa. Cardiology 2011;120:217-220.
- Gaudiani JL. Braverman JM. Mascolo M. Mehler PS. Ophthalmic changes in severe anorexia nervosa: A case series. IJED 2012; 45(5): 719-21.
- Holmes SRM. Gudridge TA. Gaudiani JL. Mehler PS. Dysphagia in anorexia nervosa: a case series. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 2012;121(7):449-56
- Chu ES. Gaudiani JL. Mascolo M. Statland B. Sabel A. Carroll K. Mehler PS. ACUTE Center for Eating Disorders. J Hosp Med 2012;7(4): 340-44.
- Sabel AL. Gaudiani JL. Statland B. Mehler PS. Hematologic abnormalities in severe anorexia nervosa. Ann Hematol 2013; 92(5):605-13.
- Gaudiani JL. Sabel AL. Mehler PS. Low prealbumin is a predictor of medical complications in severe anorexia nervosa. IJED 2014;47(2):148-56
- Kosmiski L, Schmiege SJ, Mascolo M, Gaudiani J, Mehler PS. Chronic starvation secondary to anorexia nervosa is associated with adaptive suppression of resting energy expenditure. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2014;99:908-14.
- Sankey, C, Ladizinski B, Gaudiani JL. Ingested foreign body associated with bulimia nervosa. J Emerg Med 2014. In press. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jemermed.2014.04.038
- Bennett SL. Gaudiani JL. Brinton JT. Mehler PS. Motivated to survive: High cooperativeness in severe anorexia nervosa. Eat Disord 2015. Mar 31:1-9 Epub.
- Brown C. Sabel AL. Gaudiani JL. Mehler PS. Predictors of hypophosphatemia during refeeding of patients with severe anorexia nervosa. Int J Eat Disord 2015. In press.
- Gaudiani JL. Brinton JT. Sabel AL. Rylander M. Catanach B. Mehler PS. Medical outcomes for adults hospitalized with severe anorexia nervosa: An analysis by age group. Int J Eat Disord 2015. In Press.
- Rosen E. Sabel AL. Brinton JT. Catanach B. Gaudiani JL. Mehler PS. Liver dysfunction in patients with severe anorexia nervosa. Int J Eat Disord 2015. In press.
- Holmes SRM, Sabel AL, Gaudiani JL, Gudridge T, Brinton JT, Mehler PS. (2016). Prevalence and Management of Oropharyngeal Dysphagia in Patients with Severe Anorexia Nervosa: A Large Retrospective Review. Int J Eat Disord. 49(2):159-166.
- Gaudiani JL. Mehler PS. Rare medical manifestations of severe restricting and purging: “Zebras,” missed diagnoses, and best practices. Int J Eat Disord 2015. In press.
- 2015 Invited chapter: “Managing physical problems and physical risk in the treatment of eating disorders” for 2 volume set entitled The Wiley-Blackwell Handbook of Eating Disorders, published by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. September 2015. http://www.amazon.com/Handbook-Disorders-Clinical-Psychology-Handbooks/dp/1118573943
- 2015 Invited chapter: Encyclopedia of Feeding and Eating Disorders: Medical Complications in Adults, including pregnancy, published by Meteor Springer. Due October 2017.